What: Planning and Land Use Management (PLUM) committee
Where: Room 350, City Hall, 200 N. Spring St.
When: Tuesday, April 19, 2:30 p.m.
To: Planning and Land Use Management Committee
Councilmember Jose Huizar, Chair
Councilmember Marqueece Harris-Dawson
Councilmember Gilbert Cedillo
Councilmember Mitchell Englander
Councilmember Felipe Fuentes
Re: Council file #11-1705 Citywide Sign Ordinance Revisions
Dear Chairman Huizar and Committee members:I urge you to approve version B+ of the citywide sign ordinance as adopted by the City Planning Commission on Oct. 22, 2015. That version helps protect our communities and neighborhoods because it:
- Restricts all new off-site signs, including digital billboards, to sign districts in a limited number of high-intensity commercial areas.
- Requires the takedown of existing billboards in exchange for new off-site signs in sign district at a ratio that can significantly reduce the number of billboards on the city’s commercial streets
- Establishes a schedule of administrative penalties for sign law violations that will be a real deterrent to companies and property owners who have been willing in the past to flout sign regulations.
- Denies any amnesty to billboards without permits or out of compliance with their permits.
- Prohibits billboards, banners and other forms of off-site signage in city-owned parks and recreation facilities
Put Council file #11-1705 in the subject line of your email and send to committee clerk Sharon Dickinson at Sharon.Dickinson@lacity.org. Ask that your comments be posted in the file and distributed to committee members. Also, send a copy to Mayor Eric Garcetti at email@example.com and a copy to your councilmember. If you don’t know the email address, use this form: councilmember.last firstname.lastname@example.org